5 Minute chocolate mug cake recipe (guilt free version)
A guilt-free, 5 minute mug cake recipe?
IMPOSSIBLE I hear you say.
This bad-boy came about from a VERY dangerous recipe that my wife picked up whilst at a bridal shower. It was basically the recipe for a 3 minute chocolate cake.
No matter where you were – at any place, at any time that had BASIC cooking ingredients, you were 3 minutes away from chocolate indulgence.
Making a chocolate mug cake healthy
Unlike most recipes – If you strip away the naughtiness from it, the end result will be dull, tasteless and pointless.
This is where, with a few tweaks, the chocolate mug cake really shines.
Thankfully, the ingredients are so simple and easy to substitute with healthier options, that the end results are WAY better than anticipated.
Trial and error
I’ve been through so MANY variations of this beloved recipe before unleashing it on the internet today.
I reckon I’ve ‘NAILED IT’ to the point where it’s ‘almost’ as good as the original (naughty) variant.
To add to the awesome™, this recipe only uses ONE measuring device! – and it’s a tablespoon! It just doesn’t get any easier. (Just make sure you add the dry/wet ingredients in the correct order)
Ingredients for guilt-free chocolate mug cake
3 tbs Oats
1/2 Scoop chocolate protein powder (I’ve used whey)
1 tbs Sweetener (I’ve used Stevia here and if you like it sweeter, add more)
2 tbs Cooking Cocoa (The ‘richer’ the better here)
Pinch of instant coffee (Intensifies the chocolate flavour)
Pinch of salt (Intensifies all flavours)
1 Free-range egg
2 tbs olive oil
3 tbs Milk (I’ve used lite milk, but any will do, Blue Diamond almond milk works too)
Splash of vanilla extract or essence
The method for 5 Minute chocolate mug cake
1. Grab a decent sized mug that will fit all of the ingredients (jumbo sized).
2. Add all of the dry ingredients FIRST and stir to combine.
3. Follow this with the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
4. Place in a Microwave oven for 1.5 – 2 minutes on HIGH depending on how moist you like it (and how strong your oven is).
5. Serve immediately.
1. This goes GREAT with full-fat ice-cream. That’s right – full fat. None of this fat-free rubbish that is full of sugar anyway (If you’re gonna eat ice-cream, at least do it properly).
2. Make sure you DON’T overcook the pudding. Maybe try 1min on high first then see if it needs longer.
3. Under any circumstance do NOT remove the oil – this is what makes it soft and ‘pudding-like’ (Will be a waste of time without it).
Enjoy your mug cake
If you skipped the ice-cream part, then good for you – it really is guilt free. I reach for one of these bad boys whenever I’m craving something sweet. Not only will it keep you full for hours, but it’ll give you a decent protein hit as well. Enjoy!
Editor’s note: Have you tried the recipe or do you think you will? Comment below